Life of Pi [An old review]



I loved this book, thanks to Noor, she was the one who recommended it.
At first it won't draw you in that much, and that's what happened with me, I was like "So?" what is it about? and such..
I thought the sinking of the ship was like so rapid and sudden, I didn't get it until he went on with details, I kind of got distracted out there.
The parts explaining his name Piscine (piss) were hilarious :D, also how sometimes he talked about his misery with some humor. I really liked these parts.
The part about his religious views got me REALLY interested, I thought it was too cute to think this way (I'm not going to spoil it in case you want to read), but this was one of the new things in the book.
I loved the facts about animals' behaviors, I never knew human beings could understand animals this way..it was brilliant.
Pi's intelligence was amazing, and the chapter before the last was amusing and mind-catching.

I actually liked the same part Noor liked lol..so here's it (Forgive me Noor for taking the easy way and copying it) :D :

"So you want another story?"
"Uhh... no. We would like to know what really happened."
"Doesn't the telling of something always become a story?"
"Uhh... perhaps in English. In Japanese a story would have an element of invention in it. We don't want any invention. We want 'straight facts', as u say in English."
''Isn't telling about something - using words, English or Japanese - already something of an invention? Isn't just looking upon this world already something of an invention?"
"Uhh..."
"The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no? And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no? Doesn't that make life a story?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment